Migrants are now using tools such as battery-powered grinders, saws and blowtorches to cut through a 5.5-metre steel wall along the frontier, according to Gen. Sławomir Klekotka, commander of the Podlaskie branch of the Polish Border Guard.
Some are also throwing large stones at border personnel and placing logs in the path of moving vehicles in an attempt to ambush them, Klekotka told reporters.
'Every day, we risk injury or even death'
Speaking at a press conference in the village of Siemianówka in northeastern Poland on Tuesday, Klekotka warned that attacks on Polish security forces have intensified.
He said: "The level of aggression we are now facing is incomparable with last year. It’s largely a sign of desperation, especially among Belarusian services, due to the upgraded barrier. Every day, we risk injury or even death."
The briefing was held during national emergency response exercises near the border, involving firefighters, police and other services.
Moscow, Minsk 'weaponising migration' against EU
Alexander Lukashenko's regime in Belarus, working in cooperation with Russia, has been coordinating large-scale border crossing attempts into Poland, Lithuania and Latvia for over three years.
Authorities in the European Union see this as weaponising migration in order to put political pressure on governments within the bloc.
In recent weeks, migrants have increasingly been attempting to cross in large groups, sometimes up to 70 people at once, Klekotka said.
Although most are detained directly in the border zone, such mass attempts make it more difficult to intercept everyone at the point of entry. Those who escape initial detection are often caught further inland, he added.
In addition to cutting the steel fence, migrants have also tried using ladders to scale the barrier and have continued to cross rivers along the border.
Klekotka told reporters that these methods take longer, allowing guards to detain most individuals before they get far.
Another growing concern is the presence of individuals who remain on the Belarusian side without crossing.
According to Polish authorities, these people assist by damaging the barrier or blocking access routes used by Polish border units.
Since the start of 2025, the Podlaskie branch of the Border Guard has recorded more than 3,000 attempted illegal crossings from Belarus into Poland—over 2,800 of them in March alone.
The Podlaskie unit is responsible for monitoring a 247-kilometre stretch of the border, which is now fully covered by surveillance systems.
Of that length, 186 kilometres are protected by a physical barrier reinforced with an electronic detection system, including coverage of nearby rivers such as the Świsłocz and Istoczanka.
Klekotka said the improvements to the barrier have strengthened Poland’s ability to detect and respond to intrusions. He estimated that about 98 percent of illegal crossings are currently being intercepted.
Buffer zone
A buffer zone established in June 2024 remains in force and was extended for another 90 days on March 10. It now covers 78.29 kilometres of borderland in Hajnówka County and parts of Białystok County.
In most sections, access is restricted within 200 metres of the border, but in sensitive areas such as nature reserves, the restricted zone is up to 4 kilometres wide.
The Ministry of the Interior and Administration, which issued the regulation extending the buffer zone, says the measure is effective.
According to ministry data, illegal crossing attempts have dropped by about 46 percent compared to the same period before the zone was created.
Authorities believe it has helped reduce smuggling activity and improve the safety of personnel deployed to the area.
Military and police units continue to support the Border Guard in the region as part of the ongoing Safe Podlasie operation.
(rt/gs)
Source: IAR, PAP