English Section

US aims to maintain strong military presence in Poland, official says

20.05.2026 23:30
The United States aims to maintain a strong military presence in Poland and consult Warsaw on any future troop deployments in Europe, a Polish deputy defence minister said on Wednesday, after talks with White House officials in Washington.
Polish Deputy Defense Minister Cezary Tomczyk.
Polish Deputy Defense Minister Cezary Tomczyk.Photo: PAP/Paweł Supernak

Deputy Defence Minister Cezary Tomczyk said after meeting Andrew Baker, a deputy national security adviser to President Donald Trump, that the key takeaway was that "the United States will maintain a high military presence in Poland."

He added that details regarding the broader US military posture in Europe would be discussed with the Polish government and military commanders in the coming weeks.

"The consultation channel has already been opened," Tomczyk told reporters, adding that Polish generals had received "a clear signal" from US military officials in Europe that consultations would continue in the coming days.

Tomczyk’s visit comes amid concern in Poland following news that the Pentagon had delayed a planned deployment of 4,000 US-based troops to the country as part of a wider review of American forces in Europe.

US Vice President JD Vance said on Tuesday that the deployment had been delayed rather than cancelled, describing it as part of a broader reorganisation of US forces in Europe.

US position 'evolved in positive direction'

Tomczyk said statements from the US administration had "evolved in a positive direction," moving from initially "very worrying" reports to assurances that the changes concerned "only delays and time shifts."

He said Polish officials had been told from the outset by the commander of US forces in Europe that the changes did not specifically target Poland and were linked more broadly to President Trump’s approach toward Germany and NATO burden-sharing.

Tomczyk also highlighted Tuesday's phone call between Polish Defence Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz and US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, calling it "crucial from the perspective of national security."

Kosiniak-Kamysz said after the call that Washington remained committed to Poland's defence and security and that no decision had been made to reduce US military capabilities in the country.

Tomczyk said Poland also wanted to deepen defence and industrial cooperation with the United States, including potential joint production or co-production of advanced American weapons systems in Poland with Polish firms.

He cited PAC-3 Patriot missiles, Hellfire missiles used by Apache helicopters and Precision Strike Missiles (PrSM) for HIMARS launchers as areas of interest.

"It is not only about acquiring equipment," he said. "It is also about creating an industrial base in Poland that both Poland and the United States can benefit from."

'We have the cards'

Tomczyk said Poland, which spends nearly 5 percent of its gross domestic product on defence, had already implemented many of the burden-sharing goals long advocated by Trump and his administration.

"Quoting a classic phrase, we have the cards," he said.

Tomczyk told reporters he would also meet officials at the Pentagon and State Department, as well as Republican lawmakers in Congress during his visit.

Poland, a NATO member bordering Ukraine, views the US military presence as a cornerstone of its security amid Russia's ongoing war in Ukraine.

(gs)

Source: IAR, PAP