English Section

UPDATE 2: Poland hails Trump's plan to send 5,000 extra US troops

22.05.2026 16:15
Polish officials have welcomed US President Donald Trump’s plan to send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, calling it good news for allies on both sides of the Atlantic and saying the move would strengthen the country's security.
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk
Polish Prime Minister Donald TuskPhoto: PAP/Radek Pietruszka

Trump said on Thursday that the United States would deploy 5,000 more troops to Poland, citing his relationship with Polish President Karol Nawrocki.

The announcement appeared to mark a U-turn from earlier statements by officials in Washington.

'Good news for Poland and US': PM

Prime Minister Donald Tusk wrote on X on Friday that Trump's decision was "good news for Poland and the US."

He thanked "everyone involved," including Nawrocki as well as "ministers, congressmen and friends of Poland in the US," for their "effectiveness and unity."

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz told reporters that details of how the decision would be put into practice would now be handled by the US military, the Pentagon and the top commander of American forces in Europe.

"This is very good news delivered by President Trump about 5,000 American soldiers being directed to Poland," Kosiniak-Kamysz said at a news conference in Warsaw. "Now comes the implementation phase."

He said Poland’s efforts to maintain and expand the US military presence had involved coordination between the president’s office, the National Security Bureau (BBN), the government, the defence and foreign ministries, diplomats and the armed forces.

'Diplomatic and political efforts'

"There would have been no such decision without our diplomatic and political efforts," he said, also crediting Nawrocki’s ties with Trump and support from members of the US Congress.

Kosiniak-Kamysz said the Pentagon and US European Command would need time to complete planning for the redeployment of forces in Europe, a process he said could take between two and four weeks.

He added that decisions on where US troops are stationed ultimately rest with Washington, but said Poland stood to benefit from the reshuffling.

Poland 'gaining from this redeployment'

"Poland is gaining from this redeployment," he said. “We are moving forward.”

The minister said Poland hopes to increase not only the rotational presence of US troops but also establish a larger permanent deployment on NATO’s eastern flank.

Kosiniak-Kamysz highlighted Poland’s close military ties with the United States, including major defence purchases such as F-35 fighter jets and Apache helicopters.

He said the total value of Poland’s US arms purchases currently stands at about USD 63 billion.

He also noted the presence in Poland of the forward headquarters of the US Army’s V Corps in the western city of Poznań and a forward division headquarters in the southwestern town of Bolesławiec, as well as NATO facilities in Powidz, Łask and Orzysz.

Trump’s announcement came amid reports that the Pentagon had paused the planned rotation of a US armored brigade into Poland as part of a broader reduction of American troop levels in Europe.

Last week, the Reuters news agency reported that the Pentagon had cancelled plans to rotate about 4,000 troops into Poland.

Broadcaster CNN said Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth had ordered the pause as part of efforts to reduce the US military footprint in Europe.

The Pentagon announced earlier this month that 5,000 troops would be withdrawn from Germany.

Polish officials have repeatedly denied reports that the US military presence in Poland would be reduced below its current level of about 10,000 personnel.

Deputy Defence Minister Paweł Zalewski said on Thursday during a visit to Washington that he had received assurances the United States would maintain its military presence in Poland despite planned reductions elsewhere in Europe.

Poland’s National Security Bureau also said this week that the country could count on continued strong American military engagement following talks between bureau chief Bartosz Grodecki and US Deputy Defence Secretary Elbridge Colby.

Poland, a NATO member bordering Ukraine, views the US military presence as a cornerstone of its security amid Russia's ongoing war in Ukraine.

(gs)

Source: IAR, PAP