The District Prosecutor’s Office in Gdańsk said on Wednesday that the evidence did not establish that a criminal offense had been committed.
The investigation concerned the use of hotel rooms and apartments belonging to the Museum of the Second World War in Gdańsk, where Nawrocki served as director before becoming president.
The issue attracted widespread attention during Poland’s 2025 presidential campaign.
Reports alleged that Nawrocki had used a deluxe suite at the museum for more than six months without paying, despite living about five kilometers away.
Prosecutors opened the investigation in February last year and examined the activities of museum directors between October 2017 and June 2024.
Investigators questioned 41 witnesses, including 37 current or former museum employees.
Nawrocki was questioned as a witness in mid-July.
Prosecutors also examined hotel reservation records, staff emails, the director’s office calendar and documentation from Poland’s Supreme Audit Office (NIK).
The investigation found 205 days on which rooms or apartments had been reserved in the system with entries reading "Director" or "Mr. Director."
For 186 of those days, however, the reservation system recorded that the "client did not arrive."
Prosecutors established that Nawrocki spent November 4-13, 2020, in quarantine in one of the museum apartments, where he continued performing his official duties.
Beyond that period, prosecutors said the evidence was insufficient to establish beyond reasonable doubt that Nawrocki had actually stayed in apartments reserved in the director’s name.
They also found no evidence that Nawrocki had asked staff to block an apartment for his use.
Reception staff made the reservations on instructions from the manager responsible for the museum’s hotel facilities, prosecutors said.
Nawrocki did not have access to the hotel reservation system.
Prosecutor Mariusz Duszyński, spokesman for the District Prosecutor’s Office in Gdańsk, said Nawrocki's actions as museum director did not constitute an abuse of authority.
Under the museum's internal rules, the director had the power to reduce or waive charges for rooms and apartments, and that authority was not subject to specific conditions, Duszyński said.
Prosecutors also found that the museum regularly provided accommodation for guests attending conferences, anniversaries and other events connected with its work.
The decision to discontinue the investigation is not final and can be appealed in court.
(rt)
Source: IAR/PAP