English Section

NATO FMs discuss defence spending, Ukraine aid in Brussels

03.04.2025 11:00
NATO foreign ministers gathered in Brussels on Thursday for a two-day meeting to discuss defence spending and further military assistance to Ukraine as it defends itself against Russia’s invasion.
Polish Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski.
Polish Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski. Photo: PAP/Abaca

Speaking ahead of the gathering, NATO chief Mark Rutte said that increased defence investment was a key priority for the alliance.

"We will focus on strengthening our collective defence," Rutte said, adding that "it is the foundation on which NATO was built, and it remains our number one priority."

Rutte praised allied efforts to bring a just and lasting end to the war in Ukraine, telling reporters that allies have pledged more than EUR 20 billion in security assistance to Kyiv so far this year.

He also said that, in the face of global threats and a more dangerous world, allies "must build a stronger, a fairer and more lethal NATO."

Topics up for discussion at the meeting also include preparations for NATO's upcoming summit in The Hague, the Polish foreign ministry said.

Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022, starting the largest armed conflict in Europe since World War II.

Thursday is day 1,134 of Russia's war on Ukraine.

(gs)

Source: IAR, PAP, nato.int