English Section

Poland vows to bring ex-minister Ziobro to trial amid US visa questions

19.05.2026 14:40
Poland's justice minister has pledged to do everything possible to bring former minister Zbigniew Ziobro before a Polish court, as Warsaw awaits an explanation from Washington over how he entered the United States.
Zbigniew Ziobro at his swearing-in as justice minister at the Presidential Palace in Warsaw, November 2019.
Zbigniew Ziobro at his swearing-in as justice minister at the Presidential Palace in Warsaw, November 2019.Photo: REUTERS/Kacper Pempel/File Photo

Waldemar Żurek told public broadcaster TVP Info on Tuesday that prosecutors would work to "dispel doubts" over claims that Ziobro was being politically persecuted, insisting the case was criminal in nature.

The minister said he had received news of Ziobro's arrival in the US "with great surprise".

"If he has indeed been granted some special status, I would like our ally to talk to us about it," he added.

Żurek stressed he wanted American partners to see the evidence gathered against Ziobro.

Deputy Justice Minister Arkadiusz Myrcha, speaking on Polish Radio Trójka, said Ziobro's actions were "typical of the most wanted, pursued criminals".

Deputy Foreign Minister Ignacy Niemczycki said Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski was in ongoing contact with Secretary of State Marco Rubio on the issue, stressing that the charges against Ziobro were "purely criminal, not political".

The visa question

The comments came after Reuters reported that US Deputy Secretary of State Christopher Landau had instructed the consular department to have the American embassy in Budapest issue Ziobro a visa.

According to Reuters' sources, Landau, the second-ranking official at the State Department, believed Ziobro was being unjustly prosecuted and cited "national security grounds" to justify the urgency.

One source said Ziobro received a journalist's visa.

The State Department declined to comment, citing the confidentiality of visa records.

Poland's foreign ministry sent a diplomatic note to the US embassy in Warsaw on 12 May requesting the legal basis for Ziobro's entry.

Warsaw says it has yet to receive a response.

Reuters' sources said there was no indication that President Donald Trump or Rubio were involved in the visa decision.

From Warsaw to Budapest to Washington

Ziobro, a former justice minister and prosecutor general and Law and Justice (PiS) MP, is suspected of irregularities linked to the Justice Fund, a state scheme aimed at supporting crime victims, during his party's rule.

He faces 26 charges, including allegedly leading an organised crime group.

The Sejm (lower house of parliament) stripped him of parliamentary immunity in November 2025.

After evading arrest in Poland, Ziobro reportedly spent several months in Hungary, where he was granted international protection under then-Prime Minister Viktor Orbán.

He confirmed on 10 May that he was in the United States – a day after Hungary's new government under Péter Magyar was sworn in.

Magyar had previously said he would move to extradite Ziobro if his party won the election.

The former minister has said he did not flee Poland and is travelling on documentation granted alongside the asylum he received in Hungary.

Ziobro has also been announced as a political commentator for right-wing broadcaster Telewizja Republika.

(ał)

Source: PAP